Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #43852
wyo_rose
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
They're kinda like GirlScout cookies - they're not made with real GirlScout as an ingredient.

But they're SO YUMMY! Of course, I never measure, but take 1# of ground burger (beef, pork, elk, even porcupine ), 1 egg, 1/2 cup uncooked rice, 1/2 cup water, 1 Teaspoon pepper, 1 tsp, salt, 1/4 - 1/2 cup minced onion (depending on your taste), and mix and form into golfball size meatballs, or ping pong ball size, or even 1 inch size.

Bake or fry in a skillet for 10 minutes, then add the sauce, cover, and continue baking or simmer in the skillet for an hour.

Sauce:
1 16oz can tomato sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce....OR
1 can tomato soup, 1can water, 3 T brown sugar, 3 T worchestershire sauce...OR
Spaghetti sauce cut with a little water, if you don't like worchester sauce

You can add other seasoning to your meatballs, if you desire: onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, even pureed canned carrots. Likewise with the sauce...tasting as you go, and altering, is what cooking is all about.

Back to porcupine...I heard it's good dark meat, but greasy. And I think they ferment the tails...or is that beaver? Although, I did hear that they are what they eat, so if you eat one that has been eating nothing but pine or cedar, they may not taste very good. And a survival site says you can eat the meat raw with no harm...if you really needed to.

I hope that didn't ruin your appetite for porkypine meatballs - thus called because as the rice cooks, it sticks out of the meatballs, like quills...kinda...