Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #43859
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Gee, I had previously considered you teachable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggenGH View Post
I have already spoken out on this forum, and I will do it again!
Being ignorant, I thought I would find what I was looking for on this Native Forum, but I was wrong!!!
Many of you decided to follow the white mans road, earning money and buying buying buying buying buying ....
Where would you stop? When do you arrive at your goal in your life? How many cars would you need, how many TV, how many $$$$???

Why not trying to get back to a simple why of life, and try to be happy with what you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggenGH View Post
I’m not here to teach you the good way. I came here because I thought YOU were going to teach me the good way!!!! How to hunt ferrel cats, who to live of what Mother Natur gives us etc., but I may be wrong...
(Let me warn the regulars, I'm recycling parts of a old post.)

Wow, what a load of paternalistic, organic bovine-generated fertilizer! Another wasicu looks at my life and finds I don't measure up to his romanticized idea of Indianness. Another white missionary to save my benighted Injun soul. Gee, what a freaking surprise. It must be Tuesday.

If I followed your rant, you're disappointed because I'm not in my buckskins and tipi, living off the land. Who are you to judge us? Another non-Indian with preconceived notions of what Indians are like. You have no idea of who we are and what our cultures are really like.

My people prayed and still pray: "That these people might live." They developed the best adaptive technology they could to live in their world. They were and are keen observers of their land, and conformed their technology to best respect the forces the they understood to be sustaining their lives. They engaged in large scale interventions with their environment, like burning off vast areas of grass to encourage the growth of tender fodder for their main prey animals, and to clean out the underbrush to encourage certain berries, herbs and animals. (Heck of a carbon footprint, that.)

They studied animals and plants amassing knowledge to intervene in illness and injury. But I strongly suspect had you asked my great-great-grandmother who lost a sister, son and two brothers in one day from imported cholera if she'd have had any trouble with the use of a few bags of IV solution that might have saved their lives, she'd have said no. She'd have welcomed it.

The old days weren't a utopia. (If you have any doubts on that, come to South Dakota in January and trot outside the ol' tipi in a howling blizzard to urinate. I suspect you'll rethink that technology thing, real fast.)

As for the whole feral cat thing... You can discuss that to my latest adoptee, a feral-born three-legged kitten who I rescued from being killed by a un-neutered tom. I think she liked the surgery and antibiotics that saved her life.

Last edited by OLChemist; 04-22-2016 at 11:40 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook