Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #43863
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggenGH View Post
Yes, I had a dream of finding what you call the “romanticized Indian”, but I will not give up.
That Indian never existed. White people invented him. And only white people want him.

My people are real. They are not saints. They are not tree huggers. They are not mystics. They are not here to save white men. Our cultures like yours are a mix of bad and good. They always were and they always will be.

You talk about never killing animals. You know what my ancestors called a vegetarian? A bad hunter. And very shortly thereafter a dead man.

Quote:
Yes, if I were in “South Dakota in January and trot outside the ol' tipi in a howling blizzard to urinate”, I’m sure I would be happy to be able to warm my feets and hands on a small gas-burner!!! I AM NOT AGAINST the technology in it’s self. But I want a GREEN one, not a destructive one!!!! Why not heat up your tipi with some electricity generated by the sun????
You probably don't want to pick a scientific argument with me on solar. We can play competing patents -- one of mine is for a solar/photovoltaic application.

Just to back of the envelope some numbers here: Current commercial photovoltaics run on the low side of 40% efficient. At the very peak, ie high noon, you get about 75% of the 1340W/m^2 (the solar irradiance constant) incident on the earth at equatorial latitudes. So, let's see:

W converted = 0.4 * 0.75 * 1340 = 402W (A small space heater takes 1200W)

But a more realistic, time averaged number at the earth's surface is 304W. After all the earth turns.

W converted = 0.4 * 304 W = 122W

Then there's night, clouds, snow.... Before you scream batteries, charging batteries is a very lossy process. Exact efficiencies are dependent on a huge number of things, but very good systems lose 30% to heat. The kind of batteries used in solar systems are not good systems...

Shall I go on?

Solar is no panacea. And shall we discuss the environmental effects of covering the planet with semiconductors? (We here in TX are having enough trouble with bird kills resulting from covering a big chunk of west TX with windmills.) This ignores the really nasty waste from make the cells. The higher efficiency cells in R&D now are sandwiches of profoundly nasty compounds.

It is easy to condemn the petrochemical economy, but modern life requires a greater energy density than current "green" technologies can provide. Further, we have used chemicals and combustion engine machinery to greatly enhance the carrying capacity of our agricultural lands. Without these -- famine. Which part of our population do you propose die that others might live?

It is the luxury of the well-off to condemn the technologies that have made them well off. They are insulated from economic consequences of high energy costs and higher food costs. Back home, most of my people are not.

Quote:
Yes, I have may be become a “wasicu” since we last meet, but I don’t think so myself.
You always were. You, like me, are a hostage of your worldview.

Quote:
No, I’m NOT a missionary that wants to save your soul!
No, just condemn me -- albeit in gentle terms -- for failing to met your expectations.

Quote:
Yes, you are right, as a non-Indian, I have no right to judge any of you, but I just feel sorry for those of you who have accepted the white-man’s way of life, and rejected the knowledge and traditions of your ancestors.
You confound our acceptance of reality and adoption of the Euro-American material culture as an acceptance of values.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook