Thread: DNA Tests
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #12
Joe's Dad
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Yes, I saw the HORROR STORY of that black teenager that was convicted of rape on DNA evidence that was WRONG. That's sure the flip side of a lot of prisoners being released lately based on DNA testing that wasn't available back in the day.

I was just interested in getting these tests to see what they would say, and take it with a grain of salt.

Too bad one of these companies don't seem interested in preserving distinct tribal DNA. And I don't know which one would be trustworthy - lost faith in Nat Geo after seeing their "family tree" show on Dish, with them dismissing early Native Americans as just having stumbled across Beringia not realizing what they were doing, and leaning heavily on the outdated Clovis theory.

But like Josiah says, there was much intermarriage between tribes. My GGGgrandmother (all through the maternal lines) that I'm interested in finding out mtDNA info on, was mixed. My grandma had info that she was 1/4 Blackfoot 1/4 Sioux 1/4 Scotch 1/4 Irish. On the NDN census from back in the day, she's listed as 1/2 Shoshone, but I know that's not right because she moved here from Montana and was born in Canada. I'm assuming her mother was Blackfoot/Sioux, but I could be wrong as her maiden name was Leboeuf. If her mother was Scotch/Irish then my tribal mtDNA goes POOF!

Even her husband, my GGGgrandfather said he had the blood of 7 nations. Flathead, Iroquois and French are what we know nowadays, but maybe he was referring to the 5 Nation Iroquois Confederacy (now 6 Nations). Or maybe he really was part Shoshone too, as some have said, along with 2-3 other tribes. The Flathead consist of three (or more) confederated tribes themselves - Bitterroot Salish, Kootenai, and Pen D'Oreille.

The world may never know.

Well....Ancestry.com's test is $99. 23andMe and Family DNA are both $199 (Family finder from Fam DNA is $99).

As soon as I can find a $500 sponsor, I'll be taking all three. :)

At the very least, maybe they will show if my Dad was really 1/2 Danish 1/2 German, because all the ancestry.com stuff is pointing to only Germany.

I'll be trading in my wooden shoes for lederhosen. :
Yeah, but why do you look like a rezzed out NDN?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook