Thread: Naming myself.
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #22
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leach View Post
I have no interest in joining a tribe, because I feel that there are many full/half/etc. Natives out there who are really struggling and need the assistance more than I do.
Do you have any idea how offensive it is equate tribal membership with welfare? Are the benefits of American citizenship freedom and liberty or welfare checks? Are you an American just for the "payout"? There is a hell of a lot more to tribal citizenship than a per cap -- which is a rare thing anyway.

Tribes do many of the same things as your city, state and national governments do. They run schools, water and sewage treatment plants, maintain roads, manage natural resources, protect law and order.... Yes, they care for their elderly and infirm. But, they are not assistance programs for the indigent. Some very few tribes make payments to their members using income from various resources -- including timber, oil, coal, and gaming. (Like the state of Alaska and other political entities that provide payments using the profits from the exploitation of public resources "owned" by their citizens.) But, by and large we're not paid for just being tribal citizens. Poor Native people, like poor non-Native people, rely mainly on state and federal assistance programs.

Quote:
However, I found comfort in knowing that Natives seem to share this special connection to animals and have this amazing reverence for them that I feel inside of me.
Yes, many of our religions accord a special place to non-human life. Many tales of speaking animals occur in our various oral scriptures. (As in yours; witness a certain donkey who had a message for a transgressing leader.) Some people in some traditions received teaching from particular animals. However, I suspect your image of Native people and animals owes more to Hollyweird than to actual Native religious experience and practice.

Quote:
So you can imagine my surprise to see that maybe some of this connection is in my blood.
There is no gene for culture. And whatever epigenetic tags you got from your Native ancestors washed out generations ago. Indians make other Indians by sex and nurture.

I wear a lot of plaid, but I doubt a propensity for dressing like ugly 1970's upholstery can be attributed my two Scots g-grandparents on different sides of the family. It probably has much more to do with my mother making my play clothes with fabrics that populated the bottoms of clearance bins in said ugly 1970's, LOL.

Look, I'm not putting you down for your feelings. As a mixed-blood person, I am getting frustrated with the unconscious stereotyping. These all get in the way of sharing a real experience of Native life.

Quote:
...I am 1/25th Native American...
FYI, in the world of blood quanta arithmetic the denominator must be 2^n. The only odd number in that series is 1. Humans need two to tango. Welcome to the wackiness of human reproduction as extracted by large data set statistical analysis. Got to love those DNA tests.

A couple years ago another poster introduced herself as 1/6 Native. Since I'm old enough to have actually read Asimov, all I could think of was the novel The Gods Themselves. The extra-dimensional aliens had landed and left us a love child, LOL.

Last edited by OLChemist; 06-29-2016 at 09:36 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook