View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 02:30 AM   #9
milehighsalute
Dances With Fat Chicks

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I'm a powwow s__t magnet. If there is a non-Indian weirdo freak, they're going to plop their bottom down on my blanket and try to make friendly. Often they will offer a unique -- uh -- commentary on the proceedings.

I went to a AISES/NASA powwow at a particular institution of higher learning in Boston in 1995. Most of the participants were your standard students and family, with some community members in the mix. But there were also a handful of hobs and just plain freaks.

There was one gentleman dressed in the finest in French and Indian War re-enactor wear. Of course it was complete with woodlands side tab leggings and breech cloth, sans swim trunks. He clearly had dropped a goodly amount of money of this outfit, getting all the details right. Except for two things: He wore full face paint, in really freaky day-glow colors. His beard was slicked down into a thick layer of eye-searing, electric-blue grease paint. The absolute most garish face paint I have ever seen. And, he had chosen to cap off the outfit with a stuffed turkey mounted, with one wing outspread, atop a 6 ft long pole.

When he danced, he would periodically wave the pole in vast circles, setting loose waves of mothball stench. He created a 12' diameter Indian exclusion zone in the middle of the floor. When he wasn't dancing he sat on a stool, he had surrounded with a ring of corn meal. Of course he ended up in the paper.

I was at a powwow at Pojoaque in '94. Nice dance; normal people -- expect for one non-Indain lady who had drifted down from Taos on the hum or up from Santa Fe on something. She danced the entire event -- all dances men's and women's -- in her broom stick skirt and bare feet. All her moves were executed with her eyes closed, which added a random moving object to the circle. I have no idea why the AD didn't remove her. Fortunately, she confined herself to making tight rounds, in one spot at the very edge of the dance circle.

Her favorite step was sort of gliding slide of the right foot, while swooping both arms toward the ground. This was followed by a rigorous up and down motion, ending with her arms lifted skyward. After several minutes of watching her, my cousin decided she was channelling the spirit of her departed Irish washer woman ancestor.
pojuaque powwow is small haha......and public powwows everywhere attract this stuff.......if she tried that at feast she would be removed.........I spent a lot of time growing up summers
next door in chimayo