View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 04:25 AM   #7
eagleclanriverband
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
About 10 yrs. ago, my family bought a fixer upper house on our rez; in the old days, powwows used to be held there on the land around by the house cuz it's where our last treaty was signed. So my family thought it might be a good idea for us to bring back that tradition & we looked at hosting a 1 day powwow to honor all the mothers in our tribe.

Real quickly it started adding up to 1000's! Along with everything that @wardancer & @WhoMe have mentioned, it's custom in our tribe with a traditional powwow that you have a feast and a giveaway for everyone who comes. It's kinda hard cuz you don't know how many people are going come & how much you need to have & how many you need to cook for. For almost a yr. ahead of time I was buying lbs & lbs of extra wild rice & stockpiling it. (Almost started feeling like a Mormon..LOL!) Depending on where you are located, that's something to look into doing too.

We started planning months ahead of time.....we had yard sales & did major league recycling to make extra money.

Also, you'll want think about picking a day that doesn't compete with other existing powwows....so that narrows it down really quick, too. Summer is jam packed. With a traditional powwow, we'd be taking away opportunity for earning potential for others & we didn't want to do that. You'll want to consider weather during the time of the year if it's outside. In Northern Wisconsin, it's cold & even snows in May. So what we didn't do & should have done first was to check with & ask the Drums first.

Totally separate on deferring costs, I help out with another group who sponsors a traditional powwow & they are a non-profit 501-c3. They are on smile.amazon.com & Amazon donates % of every purchase to that charity....every little bit helps out!
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook