Thread: Hall of Valor
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #134
Ndnsoldierboy
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy WW II Codetalker passes away

A WW II Codetalker passes away.

Semper Fi, Marine.

Friends,
With great sadness we announce the passing of famed Navajo Code Talker, Private Joe Hosteen Kellwood. He was 94.
In World War II, young Marine Joe Hosteen Kellwood protected vital military messages with his native Navajo language.
He protected himself with sacred corn pollen hidden in chewing gum. Kellwood of Phoenix, was one of the famed Navajo Code Talkers and In 1942, at age 21, he joined the Marines leaving behind the Navajo Nation and the dusty trails of home.
He told his sister, Da'ahijigaagoo deya, or, "I'm going to war."
He did, but stopped first at the Navajo Talkers' School at Camp Elliott in San Diego, where he was trained. Navajo Code Talkers confounded the enemy by transmitting coded messages in their native, unwritten language, creating a double code that Japanese listeners couldn't crack.
The code was so secretive that it was not declassified until 1968.
As of 1945, about 540 Navajos served as Marines, according to the Naval Historical Center in Washington, D.C. About 400 of those trained as Code Talkers.
Although many young Navajo recruits came straight from the reservation, Kellwood had worked as a civilian at Fort Wingate, a New Mexico Army depot. Security measures like tall chain-link fences weren't new to him.
But other young recruits "saw the fences and said, 'Oh no! We're headed to prison,' " he recalled.
Kellwood also remembers a religious dilemma the day he boarded a transport ship headed for Melbourne, Australia, where he joined members of the 1st Marine Division, 5th Marine Regiment.
He needed to stand by the shore, place a dab of corn pollen in his mouth, drop a speck on top of his head, sprinkle the powder into the air and pray to the Holy People.
His uncle had given Kellwood the corn pollen telling him, Choidiil'iil, "Use it during your journey." Give tadidiin, corn pollen, to the Pacific Ocean because that is your mother, his uncle advised.
Kellwood was wary of asking for permission. So, instead, he changed his style of prayer.
The Marines allowed him to chew gum, so he mixed a little gum and corn pollen, chewed it into a ball and spat it into the Pacific.
Hozhoogo ndeeshdaal, "I shall return safely," he said in Navajo as he watched the sea swallow the gum and his prayer and then boarded.
"I was never scared during battles because I told Mama Water to take care of me," Kellwood said. "We had to feel like we were bigger than the enemy in battle. I had my prayer and my chewing gum."
On behalf of a grateful nation, we salute Navajo Code Talker, Private Joe Hosteen Kellwood for his dedication and service to our nation.
Remember Those Who Served
Via The Greatest Generations Foundation

NSB

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Come on Rez Dawg, you can make it, just another step to go....
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook