View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furling View Post
I spend the time to research on my 7th great grandmother was full Cherokee married into my family. It was ends dead. I did ask my family member know about my 7th great grandmother and they not know very much about Mary Koontz. I will provide link her info.
https://smokykin.com/tng/getperson.p...&tree=Smokykin

Under her name is Mary Houser in the list as white. Someone assume she is white?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/...638&cc=1401638

She was born about 1787 in North Carolina until her death was 1851 or 1858 in Knox County, Tennessee. I am not sure what my family told me, I need find a hard evidence. I am not going to be claim "native American of the Cherokee tribe" until i get a evidence. My family spend time debate about her. She is not native or she is native. Once I get some hard evidence about her then I will know which she is.
Greetings,
Perhaps one of the most common family stories involves a distant ancestor that is "Cherokee". Very common story but hard to prove and even harder to put to rest despite evidence that shows that it is just that a Family Story.

During the 1780's Cherokees lived in Western North Carolina parts of Tennessee,Northern Georgia and Alabama. This area was not part of the United States but its own Sovereign Land so it was very rare for Cherokees to move from this area, What was far more common was English and Scottish Traders to come into the Cherokee Nation and marry a Cherokee Woman then have Children. However even then they would typically stay with the Cherokee and live amongst them.

Of course there are always individual exceptions to this, but in my experience if you find that ancestor was not living even in the general area where the Cherokee lived then it would be highly improbable they were actually Cherokee. The very next issue is of course proving there ancestry and this will be near impossible during this period of time.
1)Cherokees were not listed on any rolls prior to 1817 and this roll was just of individuals that desired to move west of the Mississippi so it was not a complete listing of the tribe
2)Federal Censuses Did not list Race this early ie 1790,1800,1810 etc. they only listed the Head of Household (Male) and sparse family data usually the wife and kids were only listed by last name these early census are not very helpful for searching for family information.
3)If you found your ancestors living amongst and living as whites chances are they were whites. Later in the century (1800) there was some different classifications of folks that were suspect but this tended to listing a person as Black, White or Mixture the Census completely ignored Natives mainly because we were not US citizens and not subject to the Federal Census.
4) I have found very very few actual documented cases but we have there full family information. However the sheer numbers that "claim" some kind of Ancestry listed in the millions!
5)Cherokees were not the only tribe living in North Carolina also were the Catawba, Haliwa-Saponi, Tuscarora, Euchi just to name a few were living here during the 1700's.

I just want to lay out the daunting task laying ahead I suggest hiring a researcher if you are dead serious about tracking it down.

Good Luck