View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlopez View Post
...I always tried to live my life as my ancestors did.
Following Gernokee ways no doubt (j/k) Seriously... How did you decide what traditions to honor when you don't know the tribe? There are many Nations with many customs. Inca ways aren't much like Shawnee ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlopez View Post
I feel lost and I wish I could say I belong some where.
This is the tragic side of those tests. Many of the people who lay down the bucks for DNA testing, are searching their chromosomes for a cure to post-industrial social dislocation. They find a minor number of SNPs that possibly link them to some Native ancestor. The imagined Indian community, from which this ancestor comes, is romanticized as some hold-over of pre-industrial small town kith and kin closeness, with tipis and feathers. Voila a home!

But in reality, they know little or nothing of this ancestor. Waving their suitable for framing results, they approach a modern Indian community. Often coming with the preconception that since these communities have known terrible trauma, they must be sympathetic others who are hurting or lost. (Clearly, they had never read Primo Levi.) They find instead communities and individuals still struggling to rebuild economies, educational systems, families... Fighting to protect languages, cultures and sacred sites. Communities who have suffered the onslaughts of culture vultures. Needless to say, they generally don't find a home.

Rather than seek connection by building ties through service to their families and institutions within their own communities, they end up hurt angry and disillusioned. These tests feed a selfish desire to stare into one's naval -- or genes -- for answers, focusing on yourself. The only way for anyone, Native or non, to belong is to be part of something. Belonging isn't granted by blood, but by action. Honor your obligations to your kin. Serve your community. You will find belonging there. And give the money you would have spent on the test to charity.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook