View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 11:21 PM   #12
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Sheesh, please read the humor font. If you want to hang with Indians you're going to need to grow a thicker skin. The above comment is where you pause, reconsider how you see the world, and laugh with us.

You accuse me of delicate sensibilities. I invite you walk a mile in my steel toed shoes. Maybe then you'll understand. Pretend with me for a moment....

You get in a discussion with a non-Indian stranger about land and possible grave goods. It is going well. He is understanding your POV. Then he relates an incident about the seizure, with compensation, of some land by the government. As you read, you recall: the coerced overturn of the Treaty of 1868, 7.7 million acres lost; the General Allotment Act, 9 million acres lost; Roosevelt's executive order seizing the White Clay extension; the Pine Ridge Act of May 27, 1910 taking Bennett County; the Badlands Bombing Range, 340,000 acres; Pick-Sloan; and on and on.

Would you perhaps comment? In light of your violent response, I'd guess that you would. And you do, making a comment on the irony, hoping to get in another teachable moment.

And guess what will greet your effort to educate. A howl of rage. The old saw about intertribal warfare over resources being the constant of human history is thrown in your face, yet again. This argument is supposed to invalidate your experience of history, minimize your community's pain, and deny the legitimacy of your grievances.

And this happens all the time when you fail to tread lightly on sensibilities of colonizer's children. How does it feel?

It isn't delicate sensibilities, it is frustration.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook