View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Mr Rains, I have no doubt your intentions are good. I am 52. I've been explaining elements of our differing worldviews to people since I was 14. I've been doing it on this board for 12 years. Too often it ends in anger. So I'm going to try a different approach this time.

Please go listen to Wah Jhi Le Yihm by Ulali and BC Smith. Let the music thunder through you. Listen to our voices with your instruments and musical forms.

And when you weep for the Native artists, musicians, philosophers and children lost to disease, war, alcohol, suicide, and the other ravages of colonization. When you mourn the hardened hearts of good people who did evil things in the name of Manifest Destiny. When you are crushed by the weight of sadness for the warriors and mothers who gave their lives and souls to save what little we Native people have kept.

Observe a moment of silence for the hundred of languages which will never have voice again. Then take another for all the unique worldviews stilled by that loss. Drop to your knees in mute awe as bloodied, broken Native cultures still manage to live and thrive. Be outranged at the profound violation of Judeo-Christian values that had to happen to allow our shared history.

When you cry for all the lost potential for what our peoples could have created, dreamed and loved together but never will be, then you will be able to judge whether or not imposing another narrative on the image of Olive Oatman is exploitive or not.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook