View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
wyo_rose
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
10th Annual Denver March Diet (or maybe 8th/9th)

It's that time again, and to go along with it, a BRAND NEW DIET.

Well...new to me, but probably not new to my ancestors. The Ketogenic Diet. The Inuit, the Bison people of the plains, and the African cattle herders all ate this way for millenia, along with many other traditional societies.

This is another approach to Low Carb, which I know WORKS, but based on real SCIENCE. It's the Low Carb/High Fat (LCHF) way of eating.

Many, many studies are showing how effective the Keto diet is! But is it for everyone? Probably not, but if you are obese or have diabetes, its the TICKET! (AND for those with cancer which thrives on carbs.)

My HISTORY: I lost a ton about 15 years ago after going low carb, but have gradually put it all back on. WHY? I don't know, but I ate low carb all day, and cheated evenings, and weekends, and holidays, and birthdays. It was kinda out of control, and I'm probably the heaviest that I've ever been.

BUT now I find that eating enough (good) FAT is the key! I don't feel like cheating and am very motivated by the weight starting to come off. Of course, I've lost this same 5 pounds over and over the past ten years, always gaining it back, with even more. Of course, looking at a lot of the studies, that's typical to many diets.

The best resource I have found is DIETDOCTOR.COM. I've stumbled upon his youtube videos in the past (didn't like him because of his funny accent) and the website looked strange. But after finding a good INTRO video, I see that he's from Sweden, hence the accent, and he doesn't accept any advertising, hence the strange looking website - NO ADS! Very strange!

Lot of stuff at dietdoctor is FREE, and I LOVE watching all the videos for motivation, for learning what is happening in the food/digestion/fat storage system, seeing the studies cited that buck the conventional "wisdom", and the recipes.

THE DIET is pretty simple: Scrambled eggs for breakfast, Dinner is some meat (this is NOT high protein, only moderate), non-starchy veggie, and a high fat sauce or extra butter on a steak, or something to make sure you get enough fat. Lunch is just leftovers from the night before, so it saves a LOT of time. I keep hard boiled eggs and mayo for egg salad at work just in case I can't remember my leftovers.

The WEBSITE has meal plans, grocery lists, and lots of other resources, but I have my favorite low carb recipes already, so just double checking them to make sure I'm eating enough fat. And they have success stories, and an especially interesting video of a study of NATIVES going low carb at Alert Bay to lose weight and deal with health issues, it's called MY BIG FAT DIET.

SNACKS are something I have to have while watching a game, or movie, so I have my pork rinds, either the spicy ones, or the plain with a sour cream dip. I tried my hand at making fat bombs - the savory kind, not the sweet (because this diet discourages any sweeteners). I've been getting used to drinking my tea plain and making bullet proof coffee...yum!!

FITDAY: I plug the food I eat and my weight into fitday.com which shows a nice graph for weight loss, and a pie chart for % of nutrients: fat, carbs, protein.

FREE MONTH at dietdoctor.com: I actually "paid" for a free trial month of membership at dietdoctor.com, so I see ALL the meal plans, scientific videos, Alert Bay movie, etc.... If you're interested in seeing the "intro" video that I found on youtube that led me to dietdoctor.com, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf8NwIul2c

BLOOD PRESSURE: And in closing I guess the reason that I realized that I really need to lose weight is that I'm developing high blood pressure and I don't want to take meds for the rest of my life, and hope to avoid diabetes which plagues my family and community, when there's a more natural approach. https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure

My stats: Ummm....231 today, I know, it just snuck up on me! Nobody told me I was getting so big! Blood pressure is high 160/100. Glucose is rising - 100-110, when it used to always be 90, and they're starting to talk about my A1C, but I didn't see the number on my labs. Cholesterol is up now, and it wasn't a couple short years ago. Muffin top is Texas muffin size!! Had to break down and buy some size 16 pants and 3X tops in Nov (classic apple shape).

And here's a pic cuz I know...
I'm actually motified by this pic, but it give me motivation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG02433.jpg (24.7 KB, 18 views)