View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #18
Broken Arrow
Signal Corps

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
QUOTE=OLChemist;1630957]I am going to sound harsh. Some of what I's going to say is harsh. But, if I didn't want to try to communicate, I won't be writing long posts.

You may have figured out that I'm a physical chemist. I thought so although the hint is only a small one. I tell bad science jokes, too.

Heisenberg and Schrödinger are driving in a car and they get pulled over. The police officer asks: "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Heisenberg says, "Well, not really, but I can tell you exactly where I was."

The officer thinks that this peculiar response is grounds for a search. He finds a dead cat in the trunk and he says: "Do you know that there's a dead cat in your trunk?"

Schrödinger replies, "Well, I do now!"

Good to see you have a sense of humor. It will get you far in Indian Country. We tease hard.

I have another one.

Antenna theory in actual practise is:

a) an exact science,

b) Black Magic performed in a backroom by people who never have heard of Maxwell’s equations,

c) performed by a group of engineers who believe they understood Maxwell’s equations and pray to strange gods to help them to solve the mystery of the state of the art.

There are many books written by Native peoples.

Here we have a collision of worldviews. Our histories and cultures are by and large not in books.

Then learning will be limited and it seems I can not change it.

So, things which might seem to have no religious/spiritual component in the western world, do in ours.

This becomes ever more obvious.

Think about your culture. Is there a book telling you how to make authentic German Scherenschnitte or Bergmannsfigur?

On Scherenschnitte I do not know. On the art of the Zimmerman there is a really good one. You need luck to find one. There have never been many and a good number have been destroyed.By chance I know, where I will find a lot of books on mathematics you will never find by a search in the public library system. Applies to physics, electrical engineering, etc too.

This isn't about race. It's about being part of a community and tradition. I know many a non-Indian family member who makes regalia for their Native relative. What they make, I consider authentic. For they are creating it within the cultural context and kinship connections that animate Native life.

That I can understand and comprehend.

White people love the large elk hide bag. It fits their idea of "Indian" art. Indian people are drawn to the small bag and ignore the other. They sense the young girl, a link in a chain of artists who used the materials at hand. The spirit of her bag is true to the form and purpose of these bags.

Now, that said many of us are more accommodating. I'm a softie. I've taught non-Indians who've showed up on my porch and had the right attitude. Some even survived :)

Do you have any idea how tired we get of hearing how if we don't want to share the precious remains of our cultures that we should give up jeans, horses, pickups and antibiotics?

I think I have an idea and an expression which I should not write.

More collision of worldviews.

One: We weren't given a choice about participating in the dominant culture. (In English "dominant culture" is a sociological term that refers the mainstream Euro-American institutions, manners and mores.) We live utterly surrounded. In many cases, our traditional economies are destroyed. Should we let our children starve to remian "pure"?

No.

As to those who surround you, I better do not write what I think, not because of how you might react.

Wardancer has answered and I draw my hat.

Having a long term relationship with my patent attorney, I can tell you that the power of the legal system of every western country acts to restrict and punish unauthorized use of intellectual property. You have patent, copyright, and trade secret laws. We don't. And our intellectual property is plundered with little regard. Our legal and moral frameworks do not have standing in your systems.

That isn't right and should not be. But I have had some knowledge of how thinks work.

Why did we adopt whites? Because humans form bonds. Kinship is what makes us civilized. People make friends, people form alliances, people fall into love and lust. The difference in those relationships is we choose. We are the gatekeepers of our families and communities, not you.

I can't read as fast as necessary to cover so much. I read Peter Farb Man's rise to civilization, chapter 15. I have only a German translation not the English original. He writes about white people in the 1790 who gave up there culture and adopted the native american way. He also wrote that captured whites who had been adopted did not wish to return into white society. Your sytem of culture and family must(is) (be) very convincing.

If you understand that, then there is a chance for us to get along.[/QUOTE]

You do not sound harsh. You sound reasonable.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook