View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #20
wardancer
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
I do not know why you regard you as not been overly educated. You do not sound so.
Thank-you. I say that because in this era of college degrees being required for about any job I quit high school in the 11th grade.Luckily for me not all "education" comes from public school .

I read about kids who wanted to wear long hair, braids and feather in there hair or buckskin on graduation and that only in late and rare cases they got that through. I was very baffled. We would never do that and if a child wants to wear clean long hair, single braids or double braids to show his heritage and behaves orderly as I aspect form all who attend school, then I would always support that. Very baffled. Would be regarded as racist and more. Very baffled.
It comes from many years of the "dominate culture" believing in myths and stereotypes.The fact that our own people believe that our hair give us pride and strength , a trait the dominate culture has never been able to conquer. They tried to assimilate us into their society and yet after 100s of years, we are still here !

I found some links relating to native Americans in Germany as the Native American Association of Germany. But there seems to be something wrong because of a connection to a plastic shamane. I do not know what or who is trustworthy and who not. I decided to stay of.

From what I have personally seen about some of the German powwows , they try to re-enact actual pre 1840 living periods during their summer gatherings. They also have dances indoor as well , with more a more modern setting , much like our powwows now. A word of advice , don't even believe a wannabe shaman ! Smile , nod , and walk away.Other that that the folks who are involved are very serious and fairly authentic. I've seen some excellent beaded and quilled items from over there.

The question OL Chemist might be able to answer and I would really appreciate an answer. Is my assumption that there is a pattern from pipe bage correct? Headdresses, pipe bags and war shirts from the beginning I have considered as no gos. War shirts are honor shirts and as far as I know one has to earn them and take grate responsibility when accepting a war shirt wearer.
If my wife made me a really nice buckskin shirt and I decided to wear it into battle, then added a few "lucky" trinkets or designs on it , does that make it sacred ? Not to diminish the value as some warriors would have their shirts blessed by a Holy man , but in the end it's just a shirt ! Headdresses were earned and only worn by Chiefs and great warriors , but as all things , that practice has diminished as well.Now it seems that anyone who can collect enough feathers can build and wear a headdress. I see lots of very young guys dancing Tradish , wearing headdresses, and knowing in my heart that they didn't "earn" them and they're too new to have been passed down. Just an observation and a personal opinion !
Pipe bags are not sacred. Only some pipes are ! At least among my people. I have a pipe. Is it sacred ? Probably not , but if I use it to pray , does that make it sacred ? Good question , to me it's just my pipe.
Geometric designs are just designs. Like I said before , there are only so many colors and so many ways to bead a mountain or tipi or whatever ! Some families have personal designs that they don't want copied , but again , if you see the design and change a color or add another row of beads to it , is it still their design ? Let common sense prevail. If you believe it to be wrong , don't do it ! I am NOT a Holy man , nor do I consider myself an Elder , just an old guy ! I AM a Northern Traditional Dancer and builder of traditional regalia and moccasins. I know the traditions that my Elders and Mentors have allowed me !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 02-19-2017 at 01:40 PM..
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook