View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #37
Broken Arrow
Signal Corps

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
[I][COLOR="Blue"][B]About the only pain I get is stabbing my fingers with needles !

I can avoid it at least with the fingers. One time I must have been very clumsy. The needle would not go through and I hold the Moc to my chest. Well, than the needle got through and I pinned that needle partly into my chest. LOL

Don't forget about mental pain if making larger errors.

Yes, I said the 'F' word

Very very nice, blue, that is my color and that pattern.
I have first made a pair of turn shoe which are replicas (therefore imitations) of a model used around 800 AC over here. The technique to sew them is very similar to mocassins. Unfortunately on grass or wet stones, they are very slippery. And the soles are used up very fast on today's surfaces.

[IMG] photo IMGP0623.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo IMGP0625.jpg[/IMG]

Mocs from Minnetonka are modern Mocs which are very useful in normal days life but they lack the very special of bucksin mocs and the joy, to make them.

I started with plain unbeaded mocs and it took some time to get the sole and upper pattern for my feet. The first pair has a sole which is about 1 inch longer then necessary.

[IMG] photo IMGP0676.jpg[/IMG]

On dry and warm summer days, I put them on for bow shooting on the archery ground. It is a grass and wood ground within what little nature we have left in crow city. I have glued heels under the latigo sole. Else they are to fast used up. Nice to wear and they are lightweights.

I have another pair with the sole one inch shorter. Fits better. I need to put a second sole on. Unrolled cow sole leather (croupon) would be fine but unrolled is not easy obtained. The rolled is far to stiff.

[IMG] photo IMGP0677.jpg[/IMG]

The heal

[IMG] photo IMGP0678.jpg[/IMG]

Inevitable, I wanted to make the experience of making beaded mocs. I took the general pattern out of the book mentioned earlier in this thread. That is a black and white sketch. Number of beads to get the pattern smooth and the colors fitting is my choice. I can not recall to have seen that particular pattern within the photos I have seen on the I-Net so far but I would not put my hand into the fire.

[IMG] photo IMGP0680.jpg[/IMG]

I have started to sew the first upper to the sole. It could be better.

[IMG] photo IMGP0679.jpg[/IMG]

Making good mocs is a craft as well as an art. You need a lot of practice in designing and making good mocs. At this moment, coming up with a design pattern completely out of my own, the art part, is much more difficult than the craft which confronts with difficulties of its own.

The stretch of the buckskin above is across the upper small but along from toe to back at least one inch maybe more. The sinew must be tightened else sole and upper are loos. But tightening the sinew I stretch the upper.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook