View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Toolbox
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Hi there and welcome to Powwows.com. I'm one of the forum admins and also a grass dancer.

First question I have is - since I am an admin I can read edited posts and am wondering why you decided to edit out the content of your original post? The content seemed relevant.

As far as your question regarding tips. My suggestion is that you watch lots and lots of videos and pay attention to the footwork. Other than doing some online homework the best way to learn it is to find someone who knows the dance and ask them to teach it to you. You will also need to learn the songs commonly used for grass dance such as the straight, crow hop (my favorite), double beat, and the occasional chicken dance song. Most powwows will give the dancers 2 songs back-to-back. The first song is usually a straight song and the second song could be any of the others I listed or it could be another straight song. As with all dance styles just watch out for the trick song, where the drum will just stop and then pick back up in an effort to see which dancers are paying attention as well as to make them overstep.

In general grass dancing is a dance of equilibrium - what you do on one side you do on the other. It's the perfect dance for those with OCD

It takes some practice. Also it uses your leg muscles in ways that you may have never used them before so be prepared to do lots of conditioning to train for stamina. This past weekend I was one of 14 dancers in adult mens grass so they gave us 3 straight songs, needless to say my calves are killing me and I'm only 31!

Here are some links:

We have a massive collection of Powwow videos here on Powwows.com, just click the Powwow videos link above or Pow Wow TV - Native American Videos
Also there are tons of videos on YouTube by YouTubers such as Amigo Kandu: https://www.youtube.com/user/AmigoKandu and LISA MOOSE: https://www.youtube.com/user/LISAMOOSE2007

We also have our Powwows.com Livestreams of some of the biggest Powwows with the biggest names in grass dancing in North America. For the schedule you can check here: Watch Pow Wows Live on PowWows.com - PowWows.com - Native American Pow Wows

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook