View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
LizBrokenArrow
Liz Broken Arrow

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Thank you, I've been grappling with how to word this myself.

I've never understood this obsession with a card. Paper doesn't make an Indian. Enculturation makes an Indian. Kin makes an Indian. Language makes an Indian.

I would caution you, be very careful how you use that ID. These cards are not real federally recognized tribal ID's. The numbers on them indicate enrollment in a federally recognized tribe. In one of your earlier threads you mentioned education benefits. Understand that almost all of those require enrollment in a federally recognized tribe.

I put the phrase federally recognized in bold because it has import in Native America. It means your tribe has a particular legal relationship with the US government. Enrolled members of those tribes have particular legal standing within US law. Tribal ID card and CDIB's are markers of this relationship. Without them, you're outside those legal boundaries.

The recognition process wasn't perfect. It left people out. It wasn't irreversible. Ask @eagleclanriverband she can tell you all about termination.

Before someone starts the "I don't need no stinking Fed to tell me I'm Indian." I never claimed that you needed that be part of a Native community.

May I suggest Steven Pevar's book for a relatively painless introduction to the legal landscape of Native America.

Rights of Indian Tribes
Hi OLChemist, Please, I am not like other people. You don't ever have to grapple with words to tell me. I actually appreciate honesty no matter how brutal the honesty may sound. I really do not offend easily. I am here to learn, even if what I learn is a harsh reality. As for the card, I am not obsessed with having one. I am just looking for who I am, where I come from. And I was encouraged by someone in another site to take the blood test and apply for the card because they investigate the information of your ancestors that you provide to see if it's true or not, so I figured I can do that, and see what they can find out and thought that through that, I could also get to the bottom of who my family is if the organization would get a hold of my families info in order to approve or decline my registration. That's all. About my earlier posts comments abut educational benefits, after the feedback and info to research that I received in those posts, I let that ship sail and no longer pursued it because it's not important to me. More important to me is to figure out who I really am. I am not doing all of this research and going through so much heartache and confusion because I want to "belong." Belonging is also a non-issue to me. I don't know if you understand what I'm getting at. When you grow up thinking one thing, and was raised one way, then you find out that your life was almost sorta like a lie, you move mountains to find out the truth. There's that old saying, "The truth will set you free." That's what I am looking for. I am looking for the truth, I am looking for my Taino family that my family abandoned and want nothing to do with. I want to know why they abandoned the family. I want to know the truth and I want to meet my family. Everything else doesn't matter. I am already confused and conflicted on so much during this journey, and really, nothing matters to me but the truth. And so I thank everyone here for their feedback, honesty, and links for me to research. So OLChemist, if you have something to say, tell me freely. I am here to learn. No worries. No need to spare my feelings. Yes, some stuff hurts, but I went into this journey knowing that it could go either way. I was already prepared for the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks friend.

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team in Bergen County New Jersey or surrounding area. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.

God our Creator #1 in all we do always.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook