View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #24
LizBrokenArrow
Liz Broken Arrow

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
500 Nations includes state recognized tribes and heritage organizations in their by state lists.

You need to be careful of the sources. A lot of information on the internet is of dubious worth. You also need to read things a bit more throughly; it is very easy to find what you want rather than what is true. Especially for Indian tribes and culture.

I know, not believe, that the Taino groups are not-federally recognized because they are not on the list in the 2017 Federal Register. I know they are not state-recognized because I've read the background information for the ongoing Lenni-Lenape v NJ.

The Federal Register is the gold standard for government legal info. The list below is what federal agencies will use for determining what tribes have federal recognition.

2017 List of Federal Recognized Tribes -- US Federal Register

Just in case there is an omission in the 2017 list you can check the 2016 or earlier.

2016 List of Federally Recognized Tribes -- US Federal Register

According to the GAO in 2012, no official list of state recognized tribes exists. However, the sources below are from reasonably thorough and knowledgeable entities.

Federal and State Recognized Tribes -- National Conference of State Legislatures

GAO Report on Federal Funding for Non-Federally Recognized Tribes, 2012

The situation in NJ is muddied. The state of NJ claims never to have formally recognized 3 tribes (none Taino) and tribes claim otherwise. There is an ongoing law suit.

Law 306 article on Lenni-Lenap v. NJ _ Cultural Heritage Partners &

This is from the law firm either handling the case or consulting on it:

Cultural Heritage Partner's -- info on Lenni-Lanape v NJ

Further, none of the three tribes that claim to have been state recognized in NJ are Taino.
Oh wow OLChemist, this is a lot of info. I am so grateful.

Thank you so much for all of this. You gave me a lot to read and it will take me days, but this is good.

Thank you so much. I appreciate all of this. You have no idea how much.

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team anywhere in New Jersey. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.

Thank You Creator For All Of Your Blessings.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook