View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
LizBrokenArrow
Liz Broken Arrow

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Further, Tainos entered the US body politic in the 1890's -- after the Indian Appropriation Act of March 3, 1871, which ended treaty making and changed the legal definition of Indian individuals. There could be no treaties made between the US and the Taino of PR. Without that treaty, there is no government to government relationship between the Taino and US.

Treaties are between nations. There aren't generic treaties between all Indians and the US. Each was between a tribe or block of tribes. Subsequent law and custom has unified aspects of these relations -- like how educational and health service promised under treaty are provided. But an individual Indian's relationship to the feds arises from his membership within his tribe.

Liz, this isn't about saying "we're in and you're out." This is not a game of one-upsmanship. It is about a matter that goes to the heart of the political construction of Native identity. Like I said earlier, treaties are important. This complex political status is a legacy of those treaties. It is an acknowledgment of our various nations' sovereignty. Sovereignty is a life-blood issue in Indian Country.

Please understand, Native identity has political and cultural components. Cards, federal and state recognition are parts of political Indianess.

If I had to guess your apparently desperate search for a some political group to join is more of a reflection of a feeling of inauthenticity. Again, paper doesn't make an Indian; Indians make Indians. The heart of cultural Indianess is family, clan (if your folks count things that way), and community. These are what make you Indian. These are in your family.
OLChemist. Thank you for your frankness. I very much appreciate your honesty. I appreciate you not dancing around things to spare my feelings. I am grateful for that. It's a welcome change to everyone else being shady and vague.

I understand that you're not telling me that you're in and I'm out. Never crossed my mind. I'm here to learn. If I am right, I'm right, and if I am wrong, I'm wrong. I would never know either if I didn't have people like you letting me know and explaining things to me in so much detail. And no, no "one-upmanship" here. Not my intent. Just sharing what little info I find out and asking for correction if the info found is incorrect.

You got one thing right and one thing wrong. Right: I am desperate trying to find out my family's information and where they're at. Wrong: Not looking for a political group to join. Dance group yes. Political group, no. "Feeling of inauthenticity, no. Just trying to find my family. I know they're out there. Just don't understand why my other family is trying so hard to keep me away from them. Do I want to be a part of my family. Of course, yes, definitely. I feel incomplete. I feel a void in my life and in my heart and I'd like to feel whole. I don't know if I make sense to you, if you understand what I mean. The more info I find out, even if it's incorrect info, I find the truth here, the paper has become irrelevant to me. It's not about the paper, it's about how I'm feeling inside. Knowing that my family's tribe is still out there and them keeping me away from them for whatever reason is making me more determined to find them. I don't know if I'll ever receive info from the place I sent my registration form to, but if I do, I'll share it and see if it's more incorrect info.

I know that eventually I'll have to fly to PR to get to the bottom of everything, In the meantime, I keep searching for answers. Thank you for helping me so much.

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team in Bergen County New Jersey or surrounding area. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.

God our Creator #1 in all we do always.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook