View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #36
LizBrokenArrow
Liz Broken Arrow

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Liz, you're getting hung up in definitions. In the US, American Indian is a slippery term. It has political and ethnological meanings. The scope of who is and who is not an American Indian is context dependent.

"As a general rule, an American Indian or Alaska Native person is someone who has blood degree from and is recognized as such by a federally recognized[emphasis added] tribe or village (as an enrolled tribal member) and/or the United States. Of course, blood quantum (the degree of American Indian or Alaska Native blood from a federally recognized tribe or village that a person possesses) is not the only means by which a person is considered to be an American Indian or Alaska Native. Other factors, such as a personís knowledge of his or her tribeís culture, history, language, religion, familial kinships, and how strongly a person identifies himself or herself as American Indian or Alaska Native, are also important. In fact, there is no single federal or tribal criterion or standard that establishes a person's identity as American Indian or Alaska Native."

quote from BIA FAQ's

Virtually every governmental entity which deals with Native Americans has it's own definition. These vary, but almost all of them include membership in a tribal group with a government to government relationship with the US federal government (or in some few cases state governments).

These blog post include a laundry list of definitions:

What is an Indian? A Legal Definition, Part 1

What is an Indian? A Legal Definition, Part 2

As several of us have told you, Tainos are not federally recognized. Nor are they state recognized. Further the relationship of PR to the US is not a fed to state relationship. PR is an unincorporated territory. This makes any current government to government relationship between the Taino and the feds unlikely in the extreme.

Why are you fighting this hard? No one is saying you're not indigenous/Native. All I've heard said, is your tribe has no government to government relationship with the US. All I've heard is a mild suggestion that once you know your people's culture better, you may come to find dancing a medicine dance originating with the Anishinaabeg inappropriate or unsatisfying.

I would suggest you energies could be better spent learning the history of your people. Get off the web and go find some real books. Start with Fray Ramon Pane's An Account of the Antiquities of the Indians Duke University Press, 1999 and Peter Mayter's De orbe novo decades

PDF of English translation of De orbe novo decades

Once you know what the colonizer has to say, read what modern scholars have to say. Then go home and ask your people. Look with Taino eyes at what you read.
Thank you for your feedback OLChemist. Not hung up on definition per say. Just needed to know the difference from what Joe's Dad had quoted to me "Perhaps you confuse 'American Indians' with 'Indians of the Americas', and I was just asking for clarification as to what the difference is since I did not know. That's all.

As always, thank you for the links for me to review. I always appreciate that. I will also look into the books you mentioned as well.

Thanks again
Liz

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team anywhere in New Jersey. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.

Thank You Creator For All Of Your Blessings.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook