View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #43
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Chalako, I'm a former college professor and try for the teachable moment. Bear with me though this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalako View Post
I don't think tribal members live in a teepee.They did that in the past and what's wrong with that....
Quote:
...Your people used to smoke that before negotiatons with the enemy....
You're missing to point of JD's advice -- LISTEN. This does not mean argue with what you're told. This does not mean defend your perspective. This does not mean prove you're right.

In many of our cultures, the dominant culture mode of debate is rude. In many of our traditional cultures, you respectfully listen to all points of view. You weigh them. You give yourself time to hear all the points. Then you discard or take to heart, as you see fit.

Now me, being perfectly comfortable with debate, I'm going to argue with you, LOL.

Frequently, when Native people confront misrepresentations of our cultures, we end up being told by book reading experts we're wrong. And by extension ignorant of our own cultures. Can you see how presumptuous that is? Our cultures aren't in books. And just because someone might or might not have certain details right, that doesn't mean they're grasping the whole picture.

Quote:
They lived in harmony with nature.
Quote:
About the peace pipe. I tought it was the same as a sacred pipe.Your people used to smoke that before negotiatons with the enemy.I made a mistake.My apologies.
From my point of view, you're coming perilously close to trafficking in stereotypes -- albeit it positive rather than negative ones. The problem with stereotypes is that they over simplify matter, glossing over many details, hiding key facts. "Living in harmony with nature" and "peace pipe" are red flag expressions for many Native people.

Last edited by OLChemist; 12-11-2017 at 04:07 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook