View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #60
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
OK, the teacher in me can't let this go. Slap me folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalako View Post
The Sioux and Cheyennes used tipi's and the Nez-perce and Comanches to, i believe.
Partial credit :)

Quote:
There are no buffalo's in Florida and it belonged to the Seminoles.
Partial credit. In the pre-contact era, buffalo did range into the panhandle of Florida.

Historic Bison range

Quote:
...and the Navajo's in adobe buildings.
Dine lived/live in earth and timber, stone and timber, timber, and modern wood frame hogans.

Quote:
The Cherokee lived near the Ohio river near Washington.
Wow, the Ohio River has moved. Historically, the Cherokee lived, primarily, in what is modern North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. ( Lovely country, by the way. I holds a special place in my heart.) Today they have homelands in Oklahoma and North Carolina. But Cherokee citizens live all over the world.

Quote:
I don't know the origin of the pipe but the bowl was made of red clay, holy clay.I think they used wood for the stem.
There are many stories for the origin of the pipe. Each tribe that uses it, has its own. Some tribes made pipes with clay, some with soap stone, some with serpentine, and some with catlinite. I've seen stone, horn and wood.

But, these details are irrelevant. They are only questions and answers to illustrate a point. If JD had said to me what he said to you, here is how I would have interpreted his words: "You're no expert. You're not part of my tribe; don't presume to tell me what my tribe does. When I tell you you're wrong, don't argue with me just because what I've said doesn't agree with a book or movie."

JD, forgive me if I was presumptuous. But, I think we're running up against European vs Native learning modes here. Deductive vs inductive.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook