View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #65
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Well, Cozzens counters Brown's (Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee) premise of deliberate genocide during the Indian Wars. Cozzens does a more even handed job of presenting the good and bad men on all sides.

I'm no expert in the era he covers. But my experience suggests like most of the history of encounters between Native and non-Native in North America, people were acting in accord with the mores of their culture. But the huge differences in worldviews, land usage patterns, and social systems created a situation where neither side could understand the other. Violent collision was inevitable. On both sides, people who believed themselves to be pursuing the morally correct path were doing things that were reprehensible by the standards of the other side. I think, he tries to convey this.
However, there are many scholars who don't agree. Here's a review by one:

ICMT Review of The Earth is Weeping

I didn't find Cozzens' writing style particularly compelling. This might of have been because it was yet another telling of events with which I was reasonably familiar. But some critics have made the same observation, so maybe not.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook