View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #74
Broken Arrow
Signal Corps

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
No matter how many books I read, or websites I visit, I will always have that romantic view of Europe (I imagine Belgium is near Germany) wearing lederhosen and blowing that silly horn. To me, that is the european equivalent of 'one with nature'.

Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany have common borders though the borders are today not what they once were.

Lederhosen are not all that familiar in the German speaking regions outside some local regions like Bavaria, Austria and South Tirol (Italy).

Schweinshaxe mit Sauerkraut (pork knuckle with sour red). Rheinischer Sauerbraten and Rheinisches Sauerkraut are more to my liking than Schweinshaxe.

Those "romantic views" are good for tourism, local identity and much more. You will find as many "tribes" in Europe than you have on turtle island but perhaps less spiritualized.

Beer ah, the best beer is German beer, the Rhenania Brauerei once won in almost very category when there was an European contest. OK, ok, that is more than 40 years ago. . There is good Belgian beer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Without physically visiting the region, I can only assume the culture. I would be wrong to sit behind a computer and tell somebody their history.
Difficult to learn beyond a certain point about a different culture if you are restricted to books and the internet. I only know a fraction of Germany, the people, their customs, their believes, traditions, language,... The spoken German can be very difficult to understand depending on the region. I know some regions where a foreigner may think he isn't hearing German at all.

When my fathers mother spoke the language of her youth, I did not understand her. And the language of my aunt, living in the next village was different from grandma but I likewise I didn't understand her but grandma did. The written German language is consistent within the Federal Republic. The Austrian and Swiss German have differences. Can be surprising.

As long as we tell each other with good humor, everything is well.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Last edited by Broken Arrow; 12-14-2017 at 02:42 PM..
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook