View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #77
Joe's Dad
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post

Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany have common borders though the borders are today not what they once were.

Lederhosen are not all that familiar in the German speaking regions outside some local regions like Bavaria, Austria and South Tirol (Italy).

Schweinshaxe mit Sauerkraut (pork knuckle with sour red). Rheinischer Sauerbraten and Rheinisches Sauerkraut are more to my liking than Schweinshaxe.

Those "romantic views" are good for tourism, local identity and much more. You will find as many "tribes" in Europe than you have on turtle island but perhaps less spiritualized.

Beer ah, the best beer is German beer, the Rhenania Brauerei once won in almost very category when there was an European contest. OK, ok, that is more than 40 years ago. . There is good Belgian beer too.

Difficult to learn beyond a certain point about a different culture if you are restricted to books and the internet. I only know a fraction of Germany, the people, their customs, their believes, traditions, language,... The spoken German can be very difficult to understand depending on the region. I know some regions where a foreigner may think he isn't hearing German at all.

When my fathers mother spoke the language of her youth, I did not understand her. And the language of my aunt, living in the next village was different from grandma but I likewise I didn't understand her but grandma did. The written German language is consistent within the Federal Republic. The Austrian and Swiss German have differences. Can be surprising.

As long as we tell each other with good humor, everything is well.
And this is what we learn. We cannot learn another culture from a book. It would be foolish of me to say, "The europeans are one with nature", or, " The europeans smoke a peace pipe". I don't know anything of the the region. Likewise, I would show my ignorance if I tried to impress the Germans, Belgians or Neanderthals (just kidding. I don't know what they call Netherlandians) with my knowledge of their being.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook