JiuJitsuFighter
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
JiuJitsuFighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I think for some American Natives, the issues with some descendants of Central and South American tribes is the same problem they have with some descendants of North American tribes. It is problematic when folks -- no matter which side the Rio Grande their Native ancestry originates -- invent a culture. Especially when that invention traffics in stereotypes.

Over the years, being a powwow -- uh -- wannabe magnet, I've gotten to know, even like, some these rather lost souls who find or imagine a Native ancestor in the family wood pile. It is really very sad, they don't have any connection their ancestor's culture. Indeed they may not know even what tribe. But, for widely varied reasons they desperately want to be Indian. The problem is they haven't the slightest idea how "be Indian" or even what exactly they are claiming.

Some of these people go on to do the hard work of finding their way back. They become the quiet, humble "white" girl with the mop cleaning the floor after the powwow and driving hundreds of miles a year with Meals on Wheels. Or the electrician that vacations with Habitat for Humanity and helps build desperately needed housing. Or the woman who goes to school and specializes in tribal law, and goes to work for the Dinébe’iiná Náhiiłna be Agha’diit’ahii. They try to serve their people, and thus honor their ancestors.

But a larger fraction of these seize hold of a colorful tribal identity, usually one with lots of movies and library books, and proceed to then invent a culture. Too often what they create is a fun house mirror version of a Native culture. They make themselves medicine people, chiefs, pathfinders, whatever takes their fancy.

Usually their antics are amusing. But, they become anything but funny, when they push their way into the public eye. They misrepresent Native people, which inflicts damaging setback on peoples struggling to emerge from centuries of stereotyping and distortion. Sometimes they pose a direct threat the tribal sovereignty.
You do have a point as far as wannabes making it into the public eye and misrepresenting native people in a bad way. As far as the lost soul (lol) thing, you and I will have different opinions that are not worth arguing over and I don’t know you (your probably a great person) but I’ll share my opinion.
If someone has native ancestors and is lost , what’s the harm in accepting their native and guide them. Maybe they have lost their traditions because of the European invasions. Help them. I’m sure all of our native ancestors would think the same way. They wouldn’t say “where’s your enrollment card” lol. I’ve read a few things on this site that completely goes against the way any indigenous person would think.
Take care of your people don’t put them down and fight with each other. All the political bologna aside (enrollment cards, tribe, federally recognized or not) you know if your native or not take care of each other. This is nonsense.
And, yeah, I do think like this a bit because of course I don’t have an enrollment card hahaha but my grandmother is from Mexico and knows she’s indigenous and has her own traditions passed done to her by our family. Does that mean she’s not native?
One thing she has taught me is not to be narrowminded, accept people for who they are, love each other, and take care of your family and this earth we live on.
So, continue to diss people who don’t have cards, who maybe white yet have legit ancestors, who are from Mexico or Guatemala, (not federally recognized u.s.) and you will never have unity amongst natives which is their end goal.

*** for the record I have brownish red skin lol black hair brown eyes and my entire family is from Mexico, Texas and Guatemala...
JiuJitsuFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook