View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #43
LizBrokenArrow
Liz Broken Arrow

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Hey, @JiuJitsuFighter I'd appreciate your input on the thread below.

The Term Native American and Indigenous Peoples the Caribbean and Lat. America

@LizBrokenArrow you too, please :)
Okay @OLChemist, You asked. Here goes:

1)What does the term "Native American" mean to you?
It means being a part of my family's culture, their faith, their customs, their stories, their way of living, the way they love, the way they forgive, the way they are giving of themselves, their teachings, their ceremonies, their traditions, their food, the way they survive living on a rez as oppose to living in the comforts that some of us grew up in, the way the make their tools with their hands, all of the history and legacy that they can give me to pass down to my children and their childrens' children, and the list goes on and on. I visited my mom this weekend. She's 81 and has dementia, but she remembers and showed me two handheld Indian drums that one of her uncles made. I asked her if I can have them. She said sure. She said when she dies, I can have one and my sister can have the other. LOL. She showed me pictures too. I was amazed. She doesn't always remember, but she did this weekend a little. Enough to show me a few things. There's so much more. There is so much more for me to learn that I don't know that they will teach me and that I can pass down to my children and grandchildren. It's overwhelming in a good way. I do not have all of the answers to this question because I am still learning.

2)What does it mean to be included within the definition? Excluded?
It means so much to be included because it finally shows me that I am part of a family, a real family, that I matter, and that I do have a purpose. And before anyone makes assumptions, please let me say why. ***Now please, do not not not feel sorry for me. I do not not not want a pity party because I am not a pity party person. But I grew up in an abusive home. On top of that, I was molested as a child and raped as an adult. I am a survivor. I am a domestic violence survivor as well. My first husband nearly killed me. So feeling excluded by family, that was normal for me. I was a numb and empty shell for a very long time. Being excluded meant absolutely nothing to me until I met my second husband and started a family.*** So when I found out about my Native family, heck yeah, I was on a mission to find out everything I could no matter what the cost. No matter the ridicule. I did. So to be included, within the definition, it's an honor for me. I cannot form the words to express exactly what it means to me. I do not take it lightly. It is a big responsibility for me, and I do not take it for granted either.

3) Do you assign some political or legal import to being included?
When I first began my journey, I was confused about this. As I continued researching and began learning more about my family, no. The answer is no. I do not assign any legalities or political import to being included. It is not important. It doesn't matter. It does not define who I am or where I come from. I know who I am and that is all that matters.

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team anywhere in New Jersey. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.

Thank You Creator For All Of Your Blessings.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook