View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #31
milehighsalute
Dances With Fat Chicks

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
There are more than few threads on the boards that discuss this issue. That said...

One, I would caution you about judging people by phenotype. I know enrolled blue-eyed blonds who speak their language and are recognized by their communities.

Two, make sure you're hearing (capital-N)ative and not (little-n)ative. A good friend of mine just goes postal on the term Native American. She was born in a America, so she's native. Your blood pressure will be a lot lower if you don't draw the Maginot line around an expression as slippery as Native American. (I seem to recall you've had some tension over the the term before, LOL.) Before you pull the rhetorical knife make sure your not in a gun fight, in a different state.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish: Telling them they're not really Indian? Telling them that Native history is bloody? Telling them they're stereotyping?

(My grandpa used to tell stories like the one below to teach me. But, I never got anything from them if I let myself be consumed by thinking he was criticizing me. I was suppose to listen, think and take what I would from his story. In time, sometimes much later, the lesson generally bonked me on the head, LOL.)

I once watched a couple of ladies with Twinkie test scores in the 80th percentile or better try to out Indian each other, and catch the other out on some "Indian" fact. Both were dead set on putting the other on the wrong side of the us-them line. By the time they were done, they had relocated the Trail of Tears to 1930's Ohio, measured their check bones, invoked every Indian chief on Wikipedia and had counted the wolves on their t-shirts. I dang near wet my panties trying not to laugh. The saddest part of all, both had documented descent from ancestors on Cherokee rolls.
why the hell did they even bother once they were already "in the club"? what was their point?

they coulda just waved their enrollment cards around