Old 03-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #54
Red Heathen
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Red Heathen is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
This is my first post. Hello everybody.

I don't really like the idea of a label and gave up reading all the science stuff back on page two. Although I've said I'm Native, and I grew up with hearing "we're Indian", If I was going to identify myself, then I'd say I'm Chahta.

We are various nations, and many of us, or at the very least, our ancestors, do not share the same beliefs, stories, languages, etc. There are similarities sometimes if you look, but to just be grouped as one tribe is odd unless we are simply talking about being One Tribe.

"Native American" is for government use. I haven't really ever said that I am Native American, either, or at least not to my knowledge. I strive not to. Native, sure. Something about Native American gets to me. It's like African AMerican or any other X-American, while there is no WHITE American.

This thing about natives all basically look the same or share characteristics...I'm not sure about that either. Sure you can see it a lot of times, but really always? It's not uncommon for people in my tribe to be tall. Our ancestral chief was guesstimated at or just over seven feet tall when DeSoto found them in 1539. This was first contact in NA, so there was no interracial rape to account for that. My dad is six foot one. My cousin is six foot three. Those aren't heights you usually associate with a lot of peoples that aren't from the Northeast or even in the Southeast.

I need to cut this short. Sorry for that. I hope that I haven't misunderstood the conversation so far.

I'm Native. I'm Chahta. I don't worry about haplotypes.
Red Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook