Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #45911
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
@Toolbox, I think you'll are too close to the Mason-Dixon line for the snow driving/snow clearing thing to work well. I remember the first snowfall I saw in DC. Everyone ran around talking about how this just never happened and buying all the milk, bread and TP they find. I think syndrome is creeping north.

Seriously, I've seen a number of things that contribute to bad snow driving. Changes in automative technologies -- ABS, traction control, all-wheel drive -- have improved how cars handle on wet and snowy roads. People no longer have the habits of slowing down, leaving the longer following distances, etc that you needed for just rain in the pre-ABS days. Different chemical treatments are used.

Things don't close anymore. There is so much pressure not have to extend the school year or lose federal funding or make parents miss work that schools close less than they did when I was little.

Finally overall crowding. There's a half again as many people in the US as there were 40 years ago. They didn't come or get born with roads. There is just a lot more cars out there on a road system that hasn't increased in carrying capacity at the same rate.

Last edited by OLChemist; 03-22-2018 at 08:11 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook