Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #45926
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Grrr, one of our lens array designers needs to test an array for a new detector. Unfortunately, the company only provides a nice evaluation module for the digital version of the chip. Our existing test rig uses analog sensors. My colleague isn't electronics savy, so the project has migrated to my desk.

There is an analog version of this chip. But it's SMD in a 8 pin leadless chip carrier. I can't find a suitable breakout. Or even an unsuitable one I could beat into shape. The 2 axis MEMs accelerometers that are in all our phones, use this form-factor. But not one evaluation board I've found comes sans chip.

(Rose, sucks her lips in over her teeth, rocks her office chair back and forth, and says in a quivering voice, "I remember when chips had pins...") I pine for the days when getting an evaluation board meant receiving an envelope with a bare PCB, an anti-stat bag with a chip, and plastic bag full of resistors and caps. Now you get a sensor hooked up to some flavor of ATmega AVR microcontroller, with several pieces of software of varying quality, a USB cable, and some FTDI driver you have to locate on the internet.

Hopefully, my colleague can get the company to send us a sensor board sans chip. Or just a couple extra sensor breakout boards, that I can de-chip. Otherwise I need to find a place that can make me a few cheap breakout PCB's. Maybe even solder the dang chips to them.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook