View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooGardens View Post
Fifth..

Europeans can't seem to grasp the concept that just because my ancestors came from Europe...
doesn't mean that my NEEDS in life are the same as what people in Europe need...
It doesn't mean that my culture and the way that I see the world, is from Europe..

it doesn't mean that Everything that Europe makes, is effective here in America.

It doesn't mean that my culture and beliefs and way of life is the same as it is in Europe.

I am departed from Europe... they can't grasp it.

You seem to have some animus toward Europeans too. Or did you mean Native people?

I gather you're born and breed in the US. Of course you're not German, British, French, Greek or whatever in your view point. Native intellectual property influenced/s American culture. Just as Old World intellectual property influenced us. While we all retain significant proportions of our natal cultural worldview, we are also all new creatures, products of the Colombian exchange.

As an iyeska who sees much the admire in both "worlds," I weep for what we could have built together. For what we've both lost. For what could have been had everyone involved -- Native and non-- been true to the instruction the Creator gave their people. And I pray for what our children will build together.

Humans look back at their history to make sense of their present, to learn from their past, and to reflect on their values. Unfortunately history is made by deeply flawed humans. In the heat of the moment people mostly try to do what they think is right. But, that right is formed within the framework of their culture and their circumstances.

The cowboys and Indians, black and white version of history is dangerous. If we look back without trying to understand why people did what they did and what those decisions meant within the framework of their time and culture, not ours, we condemn ourselves to never being able to learn from the past. Humans are experts of self delusion. If we don't deal with the events of the past in their full color, with, if not sympathy, at least understanding for all sides, we will never recognize it when we trot merrily down the same pathway.

Last edited by OLChemist; 05-27-2018 at 12:01 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook