View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Now, let's discuss honoring.

In most Native cultures, we honor our veterans -- Native and non. We respect these men and women who have put their lives on the line defending this land that the Creator gave us. At powwows we will ask them to stand, to come and dance with us. There are roles in ceremony and powwows only a veteran can do. Sometimes they'll be called to join the elders to eat first at a feast. Sometimes in a giveaway, the family will make bags with snacks and drinks to be given to all veterans at the dance. These tokens express the value we place on their service and our gratitude.

Indeed, the giveaway in my culture is a method of honoring someone. Their family gathers blankets, star quilts, beadwork, food, yard goods, bath linens, etc. These are given away on behalf of the honoree.

Contrast this to honoring a group of people with this images. Please explain how "I is for Indian" honors me, rather than reduces me.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook