Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #46098
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
You know those girly genes short out the parts of the brain that understand machines and math.

I can no longer count the number of times a male colleague, service tech, or random passers-by have felt the need to give me bonehead, often in correct, grade-school level explanation of how some device or other worked or some basic physical principle.

I've sat in classes for programing advanced motion control systems, where we're learning to set up linear motors from scratch, adjusting commutation etc, when my "lab partner" felt the need to give me an unsolicited, 8th grade-level description of how a motor works. I've stood in my lab, next to my laser table and racks of electronics I've built and listened to a electrician explain a fuse to me, starting with "there a thing in there that is kinda like a wire..." Kind of like a wire?! I'd say exactly like a wire.

I love the look they give you when you discuss a technical subject with them. The one you'd give your cocker spaniel if it started reciting the Declaration of Independence. You know the "That's a neat trick, but it doesn't understand a word it's saying" look.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook