Old 08-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #317
HunterSS
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
HunterSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Smile Old...white...and Cherokee

When people look at me...they see white. My grandfather used to take us to pow wows when we were 5-9 years old. I learned to dance among our friends and cousins. My great grandfather and grandfather look Native American. Sadly my grandfather passed away when I was younger and we lost touch with all of our Cherokee family. Now that I am the grandfather of my family and the oldest person in our family as well.....I want to take my grandson. But as I stated earlier...my skin is white. I was rasised to never judge a book by itís cover or a man by the size of his wallet. What is in my heart has always been there and always will. Next spring...2018, I plan to attend the first pow wow Iíve been to in 47 years. I want to dance one more time....and show my grandson his heritage, begin to teach him about the real world.
Should I therefore anticipate hatred and rejection because my skin is lighter? When I was a child, it was a magical time. The food, laughter, friendship has been some of my fondest memories. I hope that some of the younger dancers will read this and know that a lighter pigmentation cannot change your heart. I hope that our children will judge men and women by their actions.....not their words or color.
Probably said way more than I should have but I hope to see some friendly faces in Cherokee NC next year. Gives me a whole year to practice...lol.
Best of wishes to all.....Mike. Grandpa used to call me rabbit boy. Oh...my first post here too!
HunterSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook