Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
pixiedust is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
Just so you know, I deleted the post in Ancestry and Genealogy because it's a duplicate post. Thread titles show up on the right side so duplicates aren't necessary.

I have a question for you. You say your friends have spent the last 4 or 5 years "immersing themselves in their people and their culture." My question is how are they doing that?
Oh okay, I wasn't sure! Sorry about that.

And these are two people who specifically moved back up here (to Point Arena, CA area) to reconnect with their heritage. One lived in southern California and the other was from San Jose. They spend a lot of time on the reservation or at least spending time with/around the Natives who live there. Pretty much all their free time, honestly. We haven't known them for as long as we've known the rest of us so it's not as close of a friendship but I'd still consider them pretty decent friends of my friend group.

We've had other White people try to connect here and there over the years and for the most part they were blatantly disingenuous and not trustworthy (ie they didn't have any real interest in the culture or the people, didn't really want to connect, just thought it'd be cool to call themselves n8v -_-). But these two people have always been eager to learn and listen.. I've never seen them interrupt anyone or talk over them, and they are especially respectful to elders. They also regularly help clean up the rez, and regularly buy a lot of food for the kids there.

My people claim them, most importantly. And personally I see a lot more eagerness to learn, respect, and involvement from these people than a lot of other n8vs who were raised here. That's just my opinion tho -- I know a lot of other people feel the same way but obviously not everyone will agree.
pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook