Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #46287
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Some of those language translation programs build their translations based on data gathering from samples of natural language text gathered on the internet. In my experience, the internet does not bring out our best behaved, most cultured utterances. These programs seem very inaccurate at selecting the appropriate register for a sentence. I'm not horribly surprised, they would offer a middle-school, locker room appropriate word choice.

Last Friday, I was dealing with an SDS and instructions for a oxidizing solution used in jewelry making. The solution is produced in Germany and is not widely marketed. There is only one US importer and they only bring a few tens of liters into the US. So, there isn't anything in English available on the internet for this product. The manufacturer very kindly provided instructions and an SDS.

The SDS is pretty reasonable. There are fairly good services that prepare translations that conform to local legal requirements.

The instructions were another matter. I'm a chemist and a silversmith. I know roughly how this stuff is to be used and I know the general precautions one takes with the component chemicals. Had I not been, there might have been issues. They had clearly been translated the UK. As an American I don't really speak English, LOL. But, I think some of the word selections would have been very odd even in the UK.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook