View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #14
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Wow, you so missed my point. Since you're going to quote scripture at me, go read Matthew 7:5. Before you rail at my me about my issues.

Ma'am, if I thought you were a bad person or an unreachable one, I'd have ignored you. I too work very hard and although I love the sound of my own voice, I could lavish it on others, LOL. If you were in my neck of the woods, I might even buy you lunch and teach you to bead. Learning works much better with a dish of beads in the middle of the table.

I don't care what color you are. I don't care how many alleles you have. I don't care what you call yourself in the privacy of your own home. You can trot around the internet calling yourself a Inuit and Cherokee descendant, 'til the cows come home. Be a descendant. Be a proud descendant. But wait for the community to call you by name.

I'm sorry but you have a poor grasp of how issues of Indian identity affect tribal communities in the states. You do not live in them; you do not live near them. You can read and visit but that is only shallow knowledge. Perhaps you have parallels in your country, but I don't know enough to say yeah or nay on that.

Tribes in the US exist in a precarious legal space. They have powers akin to states, and government to government relationships with the federal government, However this power is routinely undermined and reduced. From ex parte Crow Dog to termination and PL 280 tribal sovereignty has been and is under attack. We have seen very little expansion of our rights.

Tribal sovereignty is the name of the game in Indian Country. Sovereignty is what nations have. Without sovereignty and the power it imparts, tribal nations will cease to be nations. We stand to lose the political power to protect the People and become glorified heritage clubs.

One of the fundamental acts of a sovereign nations, is the right to determine membership. When individuals demand the right to assert tribal identity -- note I did not say descent -- without the consent of the community, they unintentionally undermine this sovereignty. All nations have borders and processes for entry and citizenship. Tribes, not the feds, not me, not you determine who is in and who is out.

Further the rights of Indian nations within the US are at mercies of local voters. The closer you get to a Rez the greater the resentment of the locals for the rights and privileges of the tribe. When voters perceive that there are large numbers of" box-checking Indians" or wacky 501c3 (Non-profit) tribes of folks who buy cards, they become ripe to extract revenge at the polls.

This is the risk in Indian identity claims. This is what I beg dislocated mixed-bloods understand and consider. Again that these people might live.

Should you be interested in a more through and cogent discussion of these issues I recommend:

Eva Marie Garroutte, Real Indians: Identity and the Survival of Native America, University of California Press, 2003.

Also, if you were to look up some of my other posts, you'd see I generally advocate for descendants to become educated and seek their kin. But, I strongly suggest they first learn to respect the needs of the Native communities and peoples they claim. That they come humble and willing to hear the words no or not now. That they learn to respect boundaries.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-27-2018 at 05:14 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook