View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Oh heavens, I can't believe I'm discussing fashion. I'm one of the most unfashionable, fashion-blind people you'll ever meet, LOL.

Hairstyles come and go. Yes, for some sub-cultures, in some tribes, the wearing of long hair is important. One of my jewelry teachers always put his hair into a tsiiyéél (the Navajo word for the special bun/hairstyle that some Navajo people wear) before working. Long hair is more of a statement for Native men, because males wearing long hair is not usual or especially accepted in some parts of the dominant US culture.

But long hair on women, Native and non- can mean a lot of differently things. Sure, on a Native woman it may mean she is a traditionalist or just a fan of her culture's historical hairstyles. There are various fundamentalist religious groups in which women wear their hair long. There are various secular sub-cultures within the larger US society that wear long hair -- historical reenactors, ren-fair (Renaissance fair) participants, folks who are into cosplay. One of the Native women I know, keeps her hair long because she dresses up as Wonder Woman when she goes to Comic-Con, LOL.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook