Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
Stephan Grundy
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Stephan Grundy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
table.

I don't care what color you are. I don't care how many alleles you have. I don't care what you call yourself in the privacy of your own home. You can trot around the internet calling yourself a Inuit and Cherokee descendant, 'til the cows come home. Be a descendant. Be a proud descendant. But wait for the community to call you by name.

I'm sorry but you have a poor grasp of how issues of Indian identity affect tribal communities in the states. You do not live in them; you do not live near them. You can read and visit but that is only shallow knowledge. Perhaps you have parallels in your country, but I don't know enough to say yeah or nay on that.

I agree with this. I am one generation (according to family lore, which may or may not even be accurate - and since that side of the family are still rotten bigots and have constantly refused to give us crucial information, I'll probably never know for sure) away from hypothetically, if I actually could get the information, registering as an Apache. But even if I were 50%, or 100%, documented Apache, with my personal cultural history and focus (which has chiefly been geared towards academic study and practical reconstruction of the religion of the Scandinavian side of my family), I would have no right to call myself Apache or try to sign up for any benefits as a result of that. My doctorate is in Scandinavian religion; I have learned to speak most of the Northern languages and read all of them. If I, even with an undocumentable probably-one-generation-too-late Apache heritage, had had the same calling to my Native ancestry and put the same thirty-plus years of effort into learning and being part of the nation that I have put into studying and understanding my Norse ancestors...then that would be different. If that had been the case, then, well, my impression is that every tribe can make a place for someone who makes a serious, long-term, full-out effort to become part of it (and I don't mean "Dances With German Shepherds" bs...I mean learning the languages, living the life, and a fair amount of shutting up and listening to learn).
But I could be 100% Apache genetically, and, had I been raised as I was and called by the Northern gods as I have been for these many years, I still would have no business calling myself part of the Apache nation. If I could fully document family lore, and were one generation further back and legally entitled - I would not be morally entitled to check "Native American", or to attempt to gain any of the (fairly pathetic in comparison to the actual losses) compensations now given.
Stephan Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook