Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #46322
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalako View Post
I think i have enough for the rest of the day with that.
Indian tacos aren't generally a breakfast food.

Tocabe

Indian tacos are a miracle of commodity cooking. Another culinary marvel wrought by Native grandmothers with flour, baking soda, powdered milk, beans, cheese, the local animal du jour and lard or Crisco. The basic model is a piece of fry bread, topped with meat, beans, lettuce, cheese and salsa.

This delight has moved into the mainstream and gone upscale. There's a place in Westminster, CO that offers several variations including versions with duck confit, pickled cactus or tequila carnitas and brussel sprout slaw. Heaven only knows what the trendy Californian and Sante Fe chefs have done to the dish. However the best remain the ones served on a paper plate three feet away from grandma -- need not be yours -- making the fry bread.

The key is a good fry bread. At the risk of being skewered and deep fried the next time I go home, the best 10-15 pieces of fry bread I've every eaten have all been made in Navajo country. Blue Bird flour, I guess. Plus I'm partial to mutton and sometimes out there, that is the delight you get on your taco. (I should warn you my cousin claims I'd eat gamey rubber bands if wrapped in a fresh corn tortilla or a piece of fry bread.)

There are three things I just can't cook: Pie crust, you could shield nuclear reactors with the stuff I make. Got to use the stuff in the box. Biscuits, hockey anyone? And fried anything. My mom hated the smell of hot oil, so she never fried anything. Consequently, I'm a nervous, fussy deep fryer. I have a lid, 5 lbs of baking soda, and a kitchen fire extinguisher on stand-by. I wear safety glasses. I think this fatally inhibits my ability to make fry bread. I make a good dough, but only if someone else fries it.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-25-2018 at 03:57 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook