View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #45
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
With all respect due to a gentleman of your age @ches, I'm really not sure what to make of some of this stuff you're throwing out on various forums. I'd like to think you're not being deliberately provocative. Instead having reached the age where connection to the ancestors and community becomes quite important, you are seeking to reconnect to a lost and clouded past. Or maybe you're just a pot stirrer.

I would caution you that Native ways involved a deep a lasting commitment to the community and your kin. Learning the ways takes a lifetime. There is always some further understanding that one gains only by spending years observing and serving. We're just humans with tiny human minds in the Creator's magnificent, incomprehensibly huge and complex universe. The minute one presumes to have it all figured out, the Powers will serve you giant helping of humble pie. Usually by tripping you up with your own tongue. In Native communities the most knowledgable people are generally the most humble.

I recognize a fellow sufferer of the disease of academia -- being the expert. (Really, Siri I want to say expert not sport.) I can tell you from painful experience that throwing out the gems from those beloved treasures of the dominant culture -- books -- will get you handed your head. Our history and culture isn't in books and journals. Native people by and large don't much like being told what they say isn't true because some book written by an outsider says otherwise. If you want to play Indian culture expert, you're going to need to spend your time with the hobs, because Native people won't put up with it.

As for women warriors... Well of course, our ancestresses fought. They loved their families and lives. They lived in a world that was dangerous and unforgiving in ways we denizens of the 911 age can't understand. They were trained from childhood to be good daughters, sisters, wives aunties, and grandmothers -- sometimes this meant fighting. Some lived in cultures that granted great status to honors earned in combat and they choose that route. Some lived in cultures that fostered incredibly strong bonds between siblings and fought to defend or save their brothers. Others fought to protect their children, homes and home lands. All the reasons any human fights. And modern Native women fight for all the same reasons as dominant culture men and women.

I've never understood why the dominant culture fetishizes the idea of the Indian warrior. They seem to see acts of combat committed by Native people in a different way than they see those committed by their own people.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-07-2018 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Wow, I should have proofread that!
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook