Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #46347
gilisi
Pow Wow Committee

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Yummy. I buy frozen Bueno green chopped roasted chiles in my market.

Hedgewood Osage is this Osage orange? If so, you gonna make some bows? That stuff is wicked hard. Dulls your tools really fast. My friend turned some once to make a dance staff. It was a tool sharpening festival. It was pretty when he got done, yellow with a orange/brown grain.

The saw dust makes a pretty yellow - orange dye. Used some on some quills way back -- can't remember what color I got tho'. Iron mordant will turn it yellow green. One year some folks at Arrowmont were doing a natural dye class across the hall from the jewelry studio; one lady had 3-4 colors of yard goods from Osage orange, just changing her mordant and pretreatment.
Yup, same stuff! Yeah Im going to make some bows. There is a spot Im going to take my boys there on the river, It's a small Island in the middle, where we will intentionally cut some trees in order to prompt new straight growth. The dye is interesting... it would be cool to learn how that's done.. It makes sense that they use hedgewood sawdust, its so bright yellow/orange when it's cut.
The best piece I was able to find on my trip was a huge branch that was overloaded with its end dipping into the river. Should be able to get 2 bows out of that one. Cut another younger piece that will make a good horsebow. I use a big steel drawknife to shave down to one growth ring, and yes it does dull pretty quick.

Its fuuny... we had some work done by a reputable NDN about 3 hours away from us, for my 10 yr olds rig. He said he was going to text me the details once he shipped it. Well, he forgot and so I lit into him via text. Of course the package came in the mail that day LMAO.

I cut my staves, put some polyurethane on the ends so they don't split, and let them dry out for a year or so.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook