Thread: Redhorse cafe
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #46463
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I was supposed to pack and leave on Monday night for the coast. I came home and the 17 year old heater wan't working. We're going to flirt with freezing this holiday, so I couldn't leave it, not with an elderly sick cat. But, you'd think that in the 4th largest metropolitan area in the US, I could find a 24hr repair place with an open appointment on Monday. The best I could get was a standby on Tuesday and a definite for today. Thankfully, they could get to me on Tuesday.

The repair estimate was 80% of the replacement cost, with a fairly bleak long term prognosis. I bit the bullet and bought a new system. I'll give the repair guys their due. Four pm to 11pm yesterday and 9am to 2pm today. My attic is not a fun place. In 2001, code on attic decking around the heater/ac was 18". In 2018, it's 30". They had to increase the decking. Bring the gas piping up to code... Build new duct work... Those poor guys worked their hearts out.

The new system is disturbingly quiet. I keep wandering in to check on the thermostat. You could hear the three stage ignition process on the old one -- whirl, roar, fires of hell. Then the fan came on and you quit conversing until it stopped. This one is quiet, but moves mass quantities of air. I keep peaking into the living room to see if Miss Gulch on her bicycle is blowing by above the mantel.

Friday or Monday will be city inspection. But, at least I'll have heat until then. I'm a wimp. Two mornings of a 48F house, have been two mornings too many.

But, I'm not getting to the coast for my cousin's fine smoked turkey. I just went to the store to buy a turkey and fixings. I'm not a violent woman by nature. Killing my fellow shoppers to get a spot beside the freezer case of turkeys was more than I could do. Besides at this late date, killing a few Thanksgiving revelers is somewhat pointless... Now 1621, LOL. I'll be having pot roast.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook