View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #23
OLChemist
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Don't feed the spammers :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
On turning the bag outside it is not always as neat as I wish with the corners at the Fringe. Something I can do better.
That problem is endemic. Look at these historic and modern pieces. (In my opinion, the small bag in the lot for sale at Skinners, has been mended or repurposed. The flap, fringes and ties are too clean and light for hide from the late 19th century. Look at the picture of the back and you'll see the old hide.)

Small bags at Skinners

Pipe bags in Pinterest

Small bag by Wardancer

You can minimize the effect by using thinner hides. Getting the fringe piece right to the edge helps. I put in a few lone stitches across the seam to act like pins and hold the flap in place without moving. I cut them away after I've sewn the seam.

Also, you can get better defined corners by using a turning stick. I have an old roach pin I use to push out the seams on bags and moccs.

But, all the bags have them. So don't get too hung up on it. It's more important that the spirit of the piece be right.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook