View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #333
wardancer
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by joythirstpop View Post

I ended up chickening out on the powwow,
You should never chicken out on a chance to learn !

Maybe I will go another time.
You should !

there was a particularly lost sounding individual that just made me feel really sad for them. They didn't seem to get all that much sympathy-
Some folks just don't deserve sympathy ! A lot of how we determine someone's sincerity is based on how they react to some of the things we say to them.

I guess I want to take the time to come to some big questions and say some things that may or may not really piss you off, but since we've got this far it's probably worth fleshing out (at least I hope, you are the judge of that yourself.) Of course, I know you don't represent all the native americans, just as I don't represent all white people. But I think it could potentially be unhealthy to think of it as unequivocally unfruitful to take any potential risks of offense if any greater truth might be at stake somewhere.

It is rare for one of us to get really mad......it has happened , but rarely !LOL

So, one thing I'd like to bring up is that in terms of my own personal ancestry (and I know a lot of other modern americans have the same or similar), it is so diluted that I am not more than 18% of any one nationality. It's a mixture of irish, scottish, swedish, italian, english, german and native american with a bunch of other smaller bits thrown in that I could trace way back. Technically I think I would be between 6 and 7% native american based on the information I have been able to dig up. So, I'm a complete mutt. And all these nationalities have unique cultures, languages and histories, but none of them really feel like they are "mine" in particular. But, because I am mostly "white", am I just supposed to stick to revering, learning about, participating in the "white" parts?
This question always comes up ! There are many on here , who are ndn , live ndn , powwow ndn , ceremonial ndns , that are not full bloods and some are not even close , as in "thin bloods" ! But it IS who they are and who they identify themselves as !Some live on rezs , some live in the real world

I know you bring up intellectual and cultural property, and I think regalia, rituals, prayers and other specifics (I'm not sure where the line is?) are all obviously in their right place as unique and deserving of complete respect for them and for those who it belongs to. But as for the deeper beliefs, worldview, spirituality - can you own that, can anyone own that? What if you are white and find yourself agreeing with those beliefs, or that general worldview - that it matches up with your more ancient ancestors - but there's nowhere really for you to go to experience other people celebrating those beliefs and worldviews in an authentic way?

BUT, I do ask (respectfully), where is the line?
The line is within you grasshopper ! LOL You must identify as something ! Something can be defined but a "mutt" cannot.My GrandMother always said"you're either ndn or not , there is no in between"! So as a young man living in a white world , I decided I am Cheyenne and I took it upon myself to educate myself into everything Cheyenne. I'm still learning !

Thank you also for the part you included about having more gratitude and reverence. I will think on that more, I think it's a good lesson for everyone. I really believe the "west" having lost any sense of gratitude, wonder or seemingly ANY reverence for ANYTHING at all is one its biggest problems. I will definitely check out that book.

Too many today deem themselves "entitled" No one is ! One must earn their place. Most can never achieve that as it takes much humility.

There's a lot I've written here. I'm not sure if it completely does justice for where I'm trying to come from, I hope it gets across. Thank you again for your reading and responses!!
Greetings , I am just a Cheyenne "older" and not too qualified to speak about much. It's obvious you are looking for something , but whether it's in this culture remains to be seen. Ol'C is my friend and very knowledgeable in her culture......the Lakota culture. As a Cheyenne I know some things about our people. My wife is Cherokee/Choctaw/Creek and she knows much about her peoples. We "powwow" and we meet other tribes and learn about the little differences in our beliefs , the differences in the different tribal ways , how they do some things. Some other things we don't learn , because it's private and we respect that. There are over 550 DIFFERENT tribes , and I say that because we're not all the bonnet wearing tipi dwellers that you see on TV !
Once you've decided that you are ndn , and figure out what tribe you are , then you can begin a long journey into your own identity ! Or you may continue being a lost white person and gathering little bits of knowledge from everyone ! Either choice is yours. You speak in percentages ,so I'll assume you had a DNA test done. Good luck with that. Laters.....just an old guy with an attitude ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 08-26-2019 at 06:58 PM..
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook