View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
Nikia2474
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Nikia2474 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Hair rolls. or "dreadlocks" to other cultures. Need advice.

Hello everyone, I’m part native and white but mostly pass as white. My father practiced this hair style when he was young and always told me to find some part of your heritage to hold on to. I recently separated from the army and wanted to grow my hair out like he once did but apparently since this is similar to “dreadlocks” some (albeit a small minority it seems) of people claim this is cultural appropriation of the black community in the us. Now, since I pass as white mostly, I’m at a crossroads because the reason I want to do this is for personal and heritage reasons. It’s not just a “style” like some people want it for and I understand as a white native I get an assortment of privileges, but I find that some minorities do nothing to try to learn our culture, because if they did, they’d see how much we have in common.

I even read some really nasty comments on twitter talking about white hair (which is similar to native hair type 1 or 2) that it’s “disgusting” “moldy” you don’t wash your hair to get it like this which is certinalh not the case.

Anyhow what are your opinions on this. My native family is highly supportive of this but I would like to see everyone’s opinions.
Nikia2474 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook