View Single Post
Old 10-01-2001, 11:53 PM   #2
Czechy
wrapped in ribbonwork!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
What you can use will depend on whether or not you are going to fully bead your shoes, as Blackbear pointed out. In any case, if durability is your main concern, I would definitely go with leather for the uppers. Deer hide is most common although you can also use elk or moose. Those last two tend to be thicker and heavier than deer. I don't like cowhide because it does not stretch and can rip instead. Brain tan is wonderful but commercial leather does just fine too for much cheaper. The problem with canvas is that it is a woven material and unless you carefully bind the edges, it will fray and come apart. As for soles, I've used every type commonly used and would go with either the latigo or buffalo rawhide. These have lasted the longest. A sewing tip that will help your mocs last longer is to sew the upper and sole together with a welt in between the seams. This protects the stitches. Good luck with your project.
Czechy is offline   Share with Facebook