View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 06:16 PM   #21
traditional dancer
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
traditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I don't know too much about drums or making them, but here's my two-cents:

I remember watching this old Ojibwe couple tie what they called a little-boy water drum and they explained its' power and meaning as they did this.

Also, I won't name names or the drum group(s) involved but this is such a cool story that was told to me a couple years ago...

My friend is a lead singer of a well-known Saskatchewan drum group and he told me this story. It happened a couple summers ago. He was at a pow-wow and the first night he noticed this one old man that was standing near them that kept looking at them and the drum. He noticed the old man standing around them again the next day, and also the day after that. Then finally on the last day of the pow-wow the old man came up to him and told him that he'd been watching them all week-end and he said that their drum was tired, and it was time for them to change the skin. He told him that there are only about five drums (from Sask. area) that can be heard in the spirit world, and their drum was one of them. Anyways, after that pow-wow they were going to practice and the first time they hit the drum it broke.

So I think yes, drums can definitely have power and a spirit, and be considered as sacred.

Last edited by traditional dancer; 07-17-2003 at 06:18 PM..
traditional dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook